Wednesday, April 21, 2010





KICK-ASS LIVES UP TO THE NAME

The initial trailers for Kick-Ass deceived me. They painted the movie as a light-hearted comic book style action-comedy in the same vain as Judd Apatow's recent hits Superbad and Pineapple Express. I don't know, maybe McLovin's (Christopher Mintz-Plasse) starring in the movie left me with this impression, but I couldn't have been further off-base. The comedy in Kick-Ass more closely resembles Quentin Tarantino's take on humor, in that most situations shouldn't be funny, but the way in which they are executed with over the top violence and biting satire makes it so. I feel I can describe this movie best as two parts Kill Bill vol. 1, and the rest equal parts The Dark Knight, Sin City, Watchmen, and a sprinkle of Superbad to lighten the mood for good measure. Still interested? Read on.

I am a huge Quentin Tarantino fan, so the moment I realized that this movie was largely influenced by his movies I was immediately drawn in. This is first evident in a great early scene between Nicolas Cage's character and his daughter, played by the wonderful Chloe Moretz. I don't want to give away any details of the scene, as it is so edgy that details would rob it of some of its' power, but it must be said that with the conclusion of this scene I welcomed back Mr. Cage with open arms. He became cool again. If only we could get him to stop chasing National Treasures and Ghost Riding and stay with us awhile, life would be good. (Sadly, sequels have already been announced for both of these franchises, sigh.........)

With all of that said, Kick-Ass actually almost lost me about the mid-way point due to the fact that its tone became so dark that it risked crossing the line. I think the reason it bothered me so much was for the fact that the movie's main characters are teenagers and an 11 year old girl. All of these characters are thrust into a world that is darker and more adult than they could ever have imagined. In fact ,most of the controversy surrounding this movie revolves around Chloe Moretz's character (she was 11 years old during filming) who has a slight case of potty mouth and murders the bad guys with reckless abandon. But just when I thought that just maybe it had gone too far, I was reeled back in when it busted out into full over-the-top comic violence to a pounding soundtrack a la Kill Bill, and with arguably greater effect. I was completely mesmerized. Chloe Moretz's Hit Girl absolutely owns the last 20 minutes of this movie and they are glorious. It is the most fun I have had at the movies in a long time, and I still can't wipe the grin off my face that I left the theatre with four days ago.

However, Kick-Ass is not for everyone. Similar to Tarantino's movies there are times that it will make you uncomfortable perhaps even more so, but the over-the-top action and violence are done with such style and fun that any squeamish moments there were to be had earlier in the film are quickly forgotten. Let if be said, I LOVE THIS MOVIE.

No comments:

Post a Comment